Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Monday, November 22, 2010

Title: City of Ashes
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Book #: Two
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 485
Published: March 25th, 2008
Reading Level: Young Adult

As readers of series starter City of Bones already know, teenager Clary Fray is a Shadowhunter, a demon slayer who has the gift (?) of spotting Downworlder werewolves, vampires, and faeries. She is also an adolescent in an abnormally dysfunctional family: Her mom is in a magically induced coma and her father is probably insane and undoubtedly evil. All of which places Clary in situations that would challenge even the most talented average American girl.


I did love City of Bones, but I loved City of Ashes even more! The first book in the series set up the story and didn't have as much action and drama as this book did. I enjoyed the drama and pain in parts of the story. My favourite part was the storyline between Jace and Clary. For those of you who don't know what their storyline is, or who they are, stop what you are doing and buy City of Bones now!! I also loved the reason for the name of the book. The first book's title was told in the first book, and it was pretty straight forward in the story. The second one, however, was a clue to what happened in the book. The good thing about it is, you won't have any idea what it means until you have read it, so it won't give anything away.

Even though I like Clary, the main character, I can't help loving Jace the most. He is definitely my favourite character. I am very glad that his point of view is more prominent in this novel. He never failed to enthrall me in the story and make me feel attached to the book, like I was a part of it. Jace was always there for the action scenes, helping and making the others around him look like they needed help. In City of Bones, you only see the hard, self-loving side of Jace, but I am happy to report that in this novel, the real Jace is revealed with a softer side.

This book takes place in New York, blending the real world with Cassandra Clare's fantasy world perfectly. When the big action packed sequences take place, the real world is still there, but they aren't in the open. This brings a more real feeling to the story, because it shows how the Shadowhunters world is hidden from the human, or mundane world.

I can't wait to read the next book, City of Glass! If you haven't already, buy the first book now! :) This book definitely deserves my five masks rating!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I completely agree about Jace! He is an incredible character! Not only is he extremely good looking and confident, but he is also sensitive. This book was definitely my favorite of the series, but City of Glass is great too :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!