Pondering Author Playlists

Monday, October 15, 2012


After reading a book I love, I usually research it more. This can lead to the author's playlist- a playlist of songs that they listened to while writing their books. They don't match up to what I would think the book's scenes should sound like, at all.

Obviously the author and I don't see the book in the same way, we get different things out of it. However, I find it extremely curious that they are usually SO different from my personal view.

The two authors that I have noticed it most with are Cassandra Clare's City of Bones and City of Ashes playlists, and Gwen Hayes' Ours Is Just a Little Sorrow playlist.

Cassandra Clare's are HERE

Gwen Hayes' is HERE.

Do you think they match up to your perspective of the novels?

I'm a little bit mind-blown, honestly, to think that an author can write a story that can be perceived so differently by the reader. That is also what I love about fiction, though. The works of fiction, works of art, can weave such a story in your head, yet the two stories could be seen two different ways in two people's mind's.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm a little bit mind-blown, honestly, to think that an author can write a story that can be perceived so differently by the reader."

    I totally agree. I rarely think authors' playlists accurately reflect their books. How is that even possible? Shouldn't we view the books in the same light as the author? Guess not.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!