Review: Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Title: Sea Change
Author: Aimee Friedman
Series: --
Book #: 1
Page #: 292
Release Date: 1st June, 2009
My Rating: 4

Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.



There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.


Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?

If there is one thing I don't like about this book, it's that I have to wait for the next one! The cross between mystery and romance made this book worthy of it's score. I sincerely hope the author, Aimee Friedman,  is planning on continuing the series, because I can't wait to read more about Miranda and Leo!
Although I couldn't really connect with the lead protagonist, Miranda, I enjoyed seeing the story through her point of view. She changed a lot throughout the book, and it was good to see the change from science geek to a laid-back islander. Although I couldn't understand her love for science and mathematics, I could see my characteristics in her when it came to boys. Her lack of ability to talk to boys was a realistic portrayal of many high school girls. Until Miranda met Leo, she was a "nerd", who kept to herself, but Leo pulled her out of her shell.

Leo. I was intrigued by Leo the very first time Miranda met him on the beach. I was enraptured by his love for the sea and his relaxed attitude. He made the story for me, especially by adding the tale of tails.

I have always loved mermaids, and reading about them. The mystery and romance pulls me towards it, and I can't help but be drawn to any mermaid story. One of my favourite parts about this novel, was that it wasn't the usual, "mermaid meets boy and falls in love". Instead, the tables were turned and the boy was the creature. This book was a great story about mystery, love, and letting go, and I think it would be the perfect beach read. It made me want to be lying on a beach, listening to the waves rolling on the sand. And so, I am giving this book a score of four masks!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for commenting!