Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Sunday, May 27, 2012


I know I have already written a review for City of Bones, but I think the absolute amazing-ness of the series warrants a rewrite. I recently finished City of Lost Souls, which came out on May 8th, and the one book was not enough for my newly ignited Jace Wayland fix. And so, I am rereading and rewriting reviews for the series (except City of Lost Souls which you can read here).

Okay, going back and reading a book again is always intriguing to me. Some people find it boring and to repetitive for them, but I just see it as digging in deeper to a story. Whether it is a book, movie, or tv show, I always find more interesting and new parts of the story when I can process it for a second time. If I have already read the main story line, it leaves enough brain power to truly take in the details.

The Mortal Instruments is pretty much my book- guilty pleasure, if that is even a thing... I'm sure if you are familiar with my blog, you will have seen the fan girl screaming in text form (ie "EEEEEEEEEEE JACE OMGGGG"). Quite embarrassing, I'll admit, but it just goes to show how much I love and appreciate this series.

First of all, it is refreshing to read a series where vampires are not the main focus, and an ordinary human girl can become the heroine, even in a world surrounded by magical beings of great power. The way Cassandra Clare created such a believable story world is incredible to me. She has weaved a story as if it were happening in today's society, making sure she has developed the details to cover for why we can't see this world of Shadowhunters.

Shadowhunters. If you haven't read the book it might sound stupid, but for me, the name Shadowhunter creates a feeling of awe and slight jealousy because I can't be one. The fact that they have been gifted angel blood and the power to eliminate darkness from the world is awe-inspiring in itself. Let alone when the one who is gifted is Jace Wayland.

Wayland is... obnoxious. He's not that pleasant at first, but he'll soon grow on you with his battles against demons and when he shows the softer side he guards with sarcasm. He is basically the ultimate book-boy crush...too bad he is not real.

However, he is real for Clary. Clary, the heroine, is not my favourite, but I can definitely handle her more than other protagonists. The love story between Jace and Clary happened at a great pace, in my opinion. They fought against their attraction, and slowwwwwly got to know each other as the book progressed. But it wasn't too girly or in-your-face romantic. Girls and boys will both enjoy this epic treat of a novel.

The action-adventure and romance vectors of the plot compliment each other in a way you would not think possible. One minute their is a heart-felt love declaration and the next page is sliced through with swords and covered in demon blood. This combination is certainly a masterpiece for my enjoyment, and if I ever meet Cassandra Clare I will bow down to her.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for commenting!