Film Friday!

Friday, October 29, 2010



I have come up with my own meme, Film Friday. Every week I will talk about a movie that is being adapted from a book. I will update you with news of the upcoming film and hopefully give you either an official trailer or a fan made trailer. This week's Film Friday is about the movie adaptation of the best selling novel, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

When I heard that The Hunger Games was going to be adapted into a movie, I was extremely excited because it's my favourite series. I'm still excited, but the more I think about it, the more I think that there is no way a movie can be made that will be as brilliant as the book. I don't know if someone will leave the movie theatre with the same sense of love, pain, and pride for the characters the book left me with. So far, no one knows too much about the movie. Here is what I found out during my research:

There have been many rumours that Gary Ross will direct the movie. Also, his name appears as the director on the movie's IMDb page. Gary Ross is known for movies such as Pleasantville, Seabiscuit, Big, Lassie and The Tale of Desperaux. Although the writer/actor/director/producer has only been involved with twelve shows, it may be beneficial to have a relatively unknown director. He might bring fresh and new ideas to the table.

I think the same is true for the lead actress. The person who is going to play Katniss Everdeen needs to be relatively unknown. She also needs to look strong and have a strong personality. Rumours have been floating around about actresses who are being looked at for the role, but I am having a hard time with all of them. I don't think anyone can be Katniss Everdeen. Some of these include:
  • Kristen Stewart- I do not want to see her as Katniss. She already had her shot with Twilight, and those movie's did not turn out as good as the books!





  • Malese Jow- I had never heard of her until I researched the movie and I found out she is in the CW series, Vampire Diaries. According to an interview with Hollywood Crush, she really wants the role and is a huge fan of the books. I don't think she looks anything like Katniss.

  • Kaya Scodelario- I had never heard of her either...She is in Moon, Clash of the Titans and is playing Catherine in the upcoming movie, Wuthering Heights, which is due out next year. So far, she is my favourite of the actresses for Katniss, but I still don't think she is the best pick out there. Obviously, I'm hard to impress with this!

  • Chloe Moretz- Chloe has acted in (500) Days of Summer and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. There is no way she can be Katniss, in my opinion. She looks too young(she's only thirteen) and she doesn't look anything like Katniss.

Peeta is my favourite character in the books, so it will be hard to impress me with any actor who isn't the exact replica of the Peeta in my mind. Sadly, that isn't going to happen. So far, there has been one main actor in the news. Many people like him, apparently, and he looks like a good contender for the role. Alex Pettyfer has the right hair and eyes, but I just don't see him as the cute, sweet, sensitive boy with the bread. Do you?

Here is a fan-made trailer for the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKaB744-Fk0&feature=related

6 comments:

  1. Love the idea of Film Friday!I agree that there's no one who can quite live up to the characters in books! I think Kaya is probably my favorite too, but you're right, she's not Katniss. And Alex Pettyfer...okay, he's cute, but he's not Peeta. I can't wait to see who they do cast, though!

    Looks like your blog is off to a great start! :) I'm a new follower! If you want, you can stop by and visit my blog, BookwormBoulevard.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much :) I know, there aren't any people who can be Katniss or Peeta, or any of the characters for that matter. Kaya is my favourite too, for the look of Katniss. She is from England though, so her American accent might not be very good. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so hard to find actors that fit the people we have in our minds! I think that Kaya is the only person who really looks right to me of the suggestions I have seen. But I've never seen her act so I'm split on that.

    And yeah I don't care for the idea of Alex Pettyfer as Peeta either. Don't get me wrong I love Alex Pettyfer! He just is too obviously attractive and confident to be Peeta. The best suggestion I have heard for Peeta is Hunter Parrish. He looks right and he is a phenomenal actor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I don't think anyone can be the exact person that fits a fictional character. I looked at Hunter Parrish! You are right, I wouldn't have thought of him, but he looks right for Peeta! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Alex Pettyfer would be a better Jace? Huh Huh!!! What do you guys think. He would be the perfect Jace, he has the perfect hair perfect attitude and amazing jaw-line!!!! Awwwwww I'm melting!!!!!!!!!!!! So yeah what do you guys think about that????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for not replying!! YES, I agree with you. I think he is the perfect Jace Wayland...too bad it's that Jamie Campbell Bower :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!