Review: Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Title: Red Riding Hood
Author: Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Series: --
Book #: --
Page #: 329
Release Date: January 25th, 2011
My Rating: 1.5/5

The blacksmith would marry her.



The woodcutter would run away with her.


The werewolf would turn her into one of its own.
Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.
After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them--it could be anyone in town.
It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die.
Based on a screenplay written by David Leslie Johnson

I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't. Sadly, it was a combination of Twilight and Romeo and Juliet...gone wrong. The only thing I could find about this book that I liked was the writing style of author, Sarah Blakley-Cartwright. I am going to be brutally honest and say that if the author hadn't worked her magic, my rating would be a one or a point five, not a one point five.

I'm not sure what else to say about this book except that I hope the movie is a lot better. From the beginning, the plot was all very strange. The villagers leaving a sacrifice each month, which ensured that the wolf would come back....a little stupid in my opinion. Yes, he is frightening, but you don't have to lure him back to your home! I'm sure all the men in the village could have stopped the wolf: especially if one small teenager could survive it on her own.

Valerie was an interesting character for me. She was not easy for me to relate to, what with the crazy wolf after her, but she wasn't the worst character I have ever read about. Peter was a little too creepy for me to find attractive. From the very beginning I could not shake the feeling that he was the wolf. You will have to read the book or watch the movie to find out who it is, but I would advise against the cruel and unusual punishment...However, if you DO decide to overlook my warnings and read the book, make sure to go to the website in the back of the book when you have finished. There is an extra chapter which tells you who the real wolf is...

.5

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, sorry this one didn't work out for you :\ If it's anything like you described it, then I don't blame you for giving it such a low score. I haven't heard great things about the movie, either. I guess there just wasn't a good story. Good review, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!